Director, Major Gifts and Individual Giving
Background: Know Early. Know Hope.® This is the mission of Tina’s Wish, a non-profit organization dedicated to funding groundbreaking scientific research for the early detection and prevention of ovarian cancer. Tina’s Wish was founded in memory of the Honorable Tina Brozman, former chief judge of the SDNY Bankruptcy Court who died two years after she was diagnosed – too late – with ovarian cancer. Since its inception in 2008, Tina’s Wish has raised more than $15 million and is currently awarding $1.6 million annually in private grants for cutting edge research.
Position: Tina’s Wish is seeking a Director, Major Gifts and Individual Giving to professionalize and grow its ongoing major gifts and individual giving program. With annual fund-raising goals targeted to be significantly higher than they are today, the Director will need to build operations and activities to achieve these goals. The ideal candidate must be able to meet the challenge of bringing in new donors, while at the same time cultivating and stewarding current donors to increase their giving.
Based in New York City, the Director will report to the Executive Director, work closely with the Chair of the Board of Directors, and collaborate with board members, volunteers, and organizational leadership. They will oversee all aspects of the major gift program and lead the effort to grow individual major gifts through identifying, cultivating and soliciting high-level prospects with the capacity to give beyond the $25,000 level.
Tina’s Wish is looking for a confident and entrepreneurial fundraiser with a demonstrated ability to increase and sustain a high level of philanthropy, awareness and enthusiasm. This individual will be a thought partner to the Executive Director and must enjoy working collaboratively as well as independently. The Director will successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously. In addition, they must have an interest in and ability to communicate the organization’s programs and scientific mission with passion and clarity.
- Partner with the Executive Director to identify funding needs and targets with a goal of expanding the current donor base and organization visibility
- Identify, cultivate and solicit new donors and supporters who meet the criteria for major gift giving
- Individually manage and steward a portfolio of major donors
- Set the strategy for a major gifts program that includes measurable goals related to research and identification, communication, cultivation, solicitation and recognition initiatives
- Advance donor relationships through virtual and, eventually, in-person events and develop systems and practices to identify and cultivate donors and prospects from event participants
- Coach board and volunteers on campaign donor prospecting, stewardship, and solicitations
- Work with the Tina’s Wish leadership team to identify and craft funding opportunities that align with the interests of donors in the portfolio and the organization’s strategic priorities
- Manage a growth-oriented major gifts program including technology and infrastructure
- Keep up to date on fundraising best practices through professional networking in order to implement innovative changes to existing efforts at Tina’s Wish
- Work with colleagues to develop briefing materials, presentations, proposals, gift agreements, acknowledgements and reports needed to secure and steward major gifts
- Regularly report on progress to the Tina’s Wish board and leadership
- Bachelor’s degree; a minimum eight to ten years of professional experience in major gifts and/or transferrable experience in development
- Proven success in identifying and personally securing major gifts and the capability to systematize the building of a menu of options at the six- and seven-figure levels
- Experience with and knowledge of traditional, new and emerging fundraising strategies and the capacity to identify and cultivate existing and new supporters and funders
- Demonstrated experience identifying and securing short-lead gifts in addition to the usual major gift lead time
- Data-driven with the appreciation of the value of using technology to create strong reports and drive more efficient/effective fundraising
- Strong ability to motivate, inspire and organize
- Creative and entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to form strategic relationships internally and externally; including but not limited to a highly committed and active Board as well as advocates and supporters of the mission of Tina’s Wish
- Superior organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as listening skills
- Ability to communicate medical and scientific issues surrounding ovarian cancer research in lay-person’s terms
- Proficiency with MS Office as well as cloud-based CRMs and screening tools and the willingness to learn and embrace other technologies to ensure an effective and efficient workflow among team members
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information on Tina’s Wish, please visit https://tinaswish.org/
To Apply: Tina’s Wish has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Elly Kirschner, Senior Director, Harris Rand Lusk
Please put the words “Tina’s Wish” in the subject line of your emailed application (resume and cover letter).